Where YOU can be a squeeky wheel!
Squeeky Wheels
March 28, 2024, 04:45:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Logia and Squeeks: help me be annoying

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Logia and Squeeks: help me be annoying  (Read 124 times)
Nick_A

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:08 pm »

I ive near Manhattan in NY.  NPR radion for me is WYNY.  They are beginning a forum called It's a Free country." It is for political discussion.

http://www.wnyc.org/series/its-free-country/

I know the last thing they want is the eligibility issue but as is said: nothing ventured, nothing gained. A few "by the ways" wouldn't hurt.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nick_A

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:01:07 pm »

My latest comment to Brian Lehrer in

"It's A Free Country...So What? Read Our Manifesto"

The Free Country Manifesto
Read | Argue | Listen | Act

Every schoolyard argument seems to devolve to the exclamation that “It’s a free country.” This, of course, is never a political statement. It’s just every kid’s assertion that she or he can do whatever the hell they please, like change the rules of dodge ball so they win. But as a future wonk of a ten year old, I did sometimes wonder: Do kids in North Korea not change the rules because it’s not a free country? My guess is that they do, but they hang it up on some other cultural narrative. This one is ours. It’s active rather than passive, individually liberating and a little in your face. And I like it.

But of course, with freedom comes responsibilities. I wouldn’t recommend that to my son as a retort on the schoolyard. The rule changers will think he’s a nerd and immediately act on their free country right to pummel him.

But for us grownups concerned with the state of the union, the freedom/responsibility continuum seems to be at the heart of our current troubles and polarization. Sometimes it feels like our whole nation has become a schoolyard, with politicians, businesses, the media, and a lot of regular folk shouting right past each other.

That’s where we come in. “It’s a free country” usually ends a conversation. What do you really say after that? It’s like saying “everything is relative” or “we’re all gonna die eventually.” Yeah, so? But here, it’s a conversation starter.

Our mission here is twofold: to provide you lively political content and to partner with you to build a unique interactive community. That doesn’t mean glossing over our differences. But it does mean airing them with the idea that we don’t have to become Babel in the process. We can do it in pursuit of building that shining city on a hill. Together.

Don’t just say something, do something.

If this experiment succeeds, there will always be something to learn here and there will always be something to do. We hope to make this not just another news and opinion site, but a diverse political community to come hang out in. Get to know each other through social media. Mix it up with people you disagree with. Maybe even find some common ground or come to see things in a whole new way. Challenge yourself with our news and politics quizzes. Join a crowdsourcing team and help with an investigation, or help us invent a new tool. Tweet us a link for others to follow. Nominate and vote for your favorite posts. Or just take in some strong narrative writing from our guest bloggers, visit our Politics Bites soundbite roll, or gaze at some beautiful and illuminating infographics. I’ll say it again: There will always be something to learn here and there will always be something to do. So get ready to participate. Get ready to act and to interact.

Maybe we’ll change the world, or at least the way we talk politics. Or maybe it’ll suck and we’ll all go home early – storm off the dodge ball court because we didn’t get our way. But one thing’s for sure. This ain’t North Korea. It’s a free country. So let’s give it a try.

Read More:campaigns politics voters
More in:It's A Free Country ™
Leave a comment
 RSS Feed for Comments
Comments [31]

Nick_A from Manhattan
The trouble with America is that the attitude towards its citizens has changed. At one time they were considered "We the People." Now the elite including the media believe them to be "We the Great Unwashed."

"We the People" would have standing to know on what basis a presidential candidate is considered a natural born citizen. It is an essential bit of information necessary for them to cast an educated vote

The Great Unwashed is considered too stupid to be worthy and capable of an educated vote so do not have standing to see proof of natural born citizenship. They are compelled through lack of respect to cast a blind vote.

The government works for "We the People' as an employee." It is no longer the case. Now the "Great Unwashed" work for the government, are unworthy of standing, and should be grateful that the government has condescended to take care of them.

This change in political attitude towards the people vivified through the eligibility issue is why America continues to lose the freedoms it was designed to support. The people are believed too stupid for anything else.

Report Spam   Logged
LOGIA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:48:27 am »

great link! Not annoying at all! Just PERSEVERING FOR THE CONSTITUTIONAL ORDER of the REPUBLIC!

KUDOS for this information!
Report Spam   Logged
SqueekyFromm
Administrator

Squeeky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:37:49 pm »

I will help, too!!!

Squeeky Fromm
Girl Reporter
Report Spam   Logged

Squeeky Wheels Get Lubed First!!!